A little taste of home…
When I was a kid my mum worked at the local Safeways grocery store and she was in charge of the staff canteen. As well as running our home on a tight budget, mum also had to feed the store staff with a few quid and whatever product was going out of date. One of mums go-to recipes, which she often made at home too, was a classic chicken and leek pie. This is one of my favourites and a little taste of home.
Mum’s Chicken & Leek Pie
- 500g Chicken Thighs cut into small cubes
- 2 Large Leeks thinly sliced
- 4 Carrots chopped into small dices
- 1 Tbls corn powder
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Can Campbells Condensed Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Stock cube
- 2 Tbls Dried Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Block of Frozen Flakey Pastry
- A bit of milk for glaze
- First things first, thaw that pastry!
- Preheat the oven to 190c
- Heat the butter in a pan and sauté the leeks for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cornflour to the leeks.
- Add the carrots to the leek mixture and cook for a few minutes
- Throw the chicken into the pan with the leek/carrots and cook until slightly browned.
- Pour the mushroom soup into the pie filling and stir well.
- Using the soup can, make 1/2 cup of chicken stock, pour into the pie mix
- Add the frozen peas, herbs and salt/pepper to pie mix
- Whilst the pie mix is bubbling away, roll out the pastry. Don’t worry about the thickness, just make sure it’s big enough to fit over your pie dish.
- Pour the pie mix into the pie dish and put the pastry over the top.
- Lightly score the pastry, add three holes in the middle (to let steam escape) and brush the pastry with milk…for that lovely brown finish.
- Cook in the oven for 45mins or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Enjoy 🙂